Evidence continues to mount that heating the Teflon coating used in non-stick cookware releases potentially harmful chemicals. In particular, perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) have been shown to cause tumours in animal studies.
* Workers involved in manufacturing PFOA have been shown to be three times more likely to die of prostrate cancer as those who weren’t.
* Another study has shown a correlation between PFOA and low birth weight and head circumference in newborns.
* Research has also shown that PFOA causes an overreaction to allergens in mice.
* PFOA has been implicated in increased instances of cancer, miscarriages, thyroid problems, weakened immune systems and low organ weights.
* PFOA has been shown to cause changes in the pituitary (which controls growth, reproduction and many metabolic functions) in female rats.
* There is also evidence of birth defects in babies from PFOA-exposed workers.
Shockingly, PFOA is currently found in the bloodstreams of 95% of Americans!
However, metal pans are not ideal either due to the leaching of heavy metals into your food:
* Aluminium is a reactive metal (meaning that it reacts with salty or acidic foods to release itself into your food) and a causal factor in Alzheimer’s disease.
* Stainless steel cookware has been shown to leach iron into your food and cause allergen issues.
* Copper can cause gastrointestinal discomfort and it has been recommended that it does not have direct contact with your food.
The best choices out there, in my opinion (and the ones that I personally choose to use) are:
Apart from being healthy and safe, the Pampered Chef stoneware will give you fantastic results! Bakeries and pizzerias line their ovens with baking stones and bricks to absorb moisture and produce even heat. That’s why their cookies, breads and pizzas always have that perfect golden colour. You can enjoy the same perfect results at home with this exclusive stoneware!
* Evenly distributes heat and draws moisture away from the surface
* Retains heat, so your just-out-of-the-oven foods stay hot longer
* Virtually nonporous, so it doesn’t retain oils, odours or flavours
* Microwave-, freezer-, and conventional and convection oven-safe